Wednesday, July 22, 2009

7. The Specter

Pronto sped toward the city limits, still carrying his new acquaintance. The stranger didn’t say anything during the short trip, not wanting to distract Pronto while traveling at such great speeds. After they were safely away from even the outskirts of town, Pronto stopped. “Thank you,” said the stranger, “I really didn’t want to have him chase me through buildings. It would have been quite difficult to elude him.” He straightened his clothes and reached out his hand, “I am the Specter.”

“I don’t care who you are,” said Pronto. “I just want my share.” He too reached out, but did not take the Specter’s hand. Instead he reached for one of the bags of money, but the Specter once again went intangible.

“But think of how great a team we could be.”

“I work alone,” said Pronto.

“Fine,” said the Specter. “But if you change your mind you can find me here.” He produced a card and gave it to Pronto with one of the money bags. “Just ask for Doug. And I wouldn’t give this information to the cops; I can explain your little charade to them after all.”

Pronto glared at him for a moment, then disappeared without a word. Doug the Specter was now left to wander back home like Elliot had been the night before.

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to think of ways to go intangible for good... all I think of is sneaking around and stealing stuff... poor guy was destined to be a villain I guess.

    ReplyDelete